A lot of my clients ask me about the big square box within the center part of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind a pair of self-closing louvers. It’s a complete house fan and it may either benefit homeowners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and fewer humid nights
* Use it only when the temperature and humidity outside is much more favorable than the conditions indoors. When your air conditioning system is operating throughout the day, as well as the temperature outside drops lower (nevertheless the humidity remains to be high), don’t turn the simple tumblr post. The vent will suck every one of the humid air in your air conditioned house
* The optimum time periods to use it would be, needless to say, morning hours and evening
If you suffer from allergies, it may not be a great idea to bring all of the pollution in the house. Your window screens will stop several of it, but whole house fans are really powerful and could make you sneeze more than ever.
1. Before you turn the fan on, open several windows and doors as is possible, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / water heater room doors (should they be louver type, it won’t matter). The suction from the whole house fan (a minimum of with the highest speed) is really great, that without open windows / doors, it would draw air from the outside through any possible openings like, for example, in the chimney. If it is a fireplace chimney and also you don’t take away the ashes… well, it’s going to be a mess. Should it be a hot water heater / furnace chimney, it may possibly blow off the pilots.
2. When things are ready, it is possible to activate the entire house fan and in most cases inside the next few seconds you need to feel a good amount of exterior air flowing around the house. Unless…
3. This part is equally important as opening the doors and windows – both need to be balanced to operate properly as a way to really enjoy the whole house fan operation. The air drawn through the whole house fan needs to be discharged throughout the attic vents on the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created within the attic area will result in the air that had been just pulled out of your house to return with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps inside the attic wh0le and the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation might not be enough to assist the Tumblr operation; you may want considerably more to transport everything extra amount of air on the exterior. Along with the formula to calculate the sq footage of your attic vents required to discharge that air is very simple. You only need the size of your rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you will have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, as well as a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is merely a sample, calculate all of the rooms in your home you feel ought to be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you have to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – here is the part of the required attic vents (every one of them combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. In case the house you’re stepping into offers the whole house fan already installed, lets hope that this was properly sized up due to its purpose (there may be a tag around the unit itself), which would be to replace your home air within just a few minutes.
5. If you’re the main one installing the whole house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes as an optimal time for the house air exchange. To accomplish this, you’d need to divide your house total air volume (6550 cubic feet from my sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. That may provide us with 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet a minute).
6. Yet another critical thing: louvers of your Tumblr usually are not air tight and also have no insulation put on their surface; they leak air in between the house and attic. I would strongly suggest installing a huge house fan cover in attic area in order to avoid air drafts throughout the cold season – don’t forget to take out it when you use the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and lots of people never use them, but they might benefit your wallet when you apply all of the above. You will find currently other house ventilation systems available: they are more expensive (2 – 3 times) but very quiet, more potent, and offer air circulation for prolonged amounts of time.